|TISSUES >> QUALITY CONTROL|
Quality is a concept that comes from the industrial and business sector. A tissue bank offers a product, tissues, and it has a plurality of customers, the researchers. Its objective must be thus, to provide the best quality. This means to use a raw material with defined characteristics, stable production, process and a uniform final product, that can be obtained setting up defined working protocols and performing quality controls at the end of the process.
Each manipulation step is controlled in order to minimize the probability that the final product does not accomplish with the required specifications. The quality systems implementation consists in the application of a working methodology to prevent the errors that can be produced during all the process, since the tissue extraction until its sending. This strategy assume more guarantees compared to the tradicional quality control only pointed towards the product.
The objective of the application of the quality systems must be pointed towards a set of critical points or areas that will influence on the final quality and that we can optimize technically. In our case, the special areas of attention are the following:
1. Specie, individual and tissue selection: criterions, history, controls, etc.
2. Extraction: Post-mortem time, protocols, packing, etc.
3. Transport: conditions, temperature, etc.
4. Register and reception : identification, conservation period, etc.
5. Manipulation and processing: fixation, freezing, reactives, techniques, devices, etc.
6. Validation, selection or elimination of pieces, anatomopathological diagnosis, etc.
7. Register, labelling, archive, etc.
8. Storage: temperature, conditions, caducity, etc.
9. Distribution: transport conditions, documentation, standard usage, etc.
10. Benefits pursuit coming from its usage and the research results.
The BTAC also performs a quality control of its products
(tisssue samples) in order to guarantee that the stored material is
suitable for research. The quality control established in this first
step consists in: